Sunday, January 4, 2009

Bonnie Lass Reporting

Edinburgh airport is my homestead for the next 7 hours. My company consists of the ever lovely Tess Armstrong & Angel Rogers. Then a little further to the right sit a group of four ladies sitting in the Costa coffee lounge and a young lady who seems to be sitting with her partners things as he has gone to get coffee. A result of the tight new airport rules in regards to security I suppose. A teenage male, his sister and his mother have purchased coffee's or possible hot chocolate & wander off into the distance. Why is it that so many things are closed in the airport at 10.45pm on a Saturday night in the Airport. I imagined there to be more available to be done at this time of night, I was wrong. Not that it matters really, the Internet is £1 for 20Min's which isn't cheap but its not solid golden medallion either.

The young ladies partner is back & they seem to be making out on a couch, its a little bit too intimate for my liking, especially for an airport coffee bar. However I've found I am a lot less squirmish in regards to sexual acts, its a lot less awkward to watch, as dirty as that sounds. I no longer feel anger or embarrassment when I see slutty girls shaking their bon bon on the TV or getting jiggy with Mr. Fab, instead I just find it intriguing or funny. I blame Europe for making me so immune to embarrassment it can't be a bad thing though I guess so I wont complain.

Edinburgh was completely different from what I expected, but then again I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I first stepped foot on ground. Scotland was beautiful. I shall say that. Just walking the streets was an experience & a half, I am quite sad to be leaving so soon actually. I think its somewhere I could definately spend a few months exploring & working. The people are friendly & the whole atmosphere makes me smile. The minute we stepping onto the soil of Scotland we were faced with an epic journey of triumpth to get to our apartment. When we got off the bus in Edinburgh we carted out luggage up hill through a very impressive neon lite carnival, the carnival was in the middle of town so it was surrounded by ancient looking buildings & tree's lite up with blue fairy lights. By the time I reached the top of the hill, I imagine I looked quite "shagged" as a guard whom was keeping an eye on the drunk & staggering teens wandering the streets, chuckled and said you look like you could do with a hand. This I was already well aware of due to the fact I was wearing tights, jeans, trackies, 2 jackets & 4 tops as well as carrying 25kg of luggage up a hill With all this walking I have been doing I tell you by the time I get home I'll have buns of steel. Hogmanay was hectic, BUT it delivered. The fireworks were incredible the people were friendly and joyous, I can vaguely recall having many conversations with people about Australia, what I think they should see & trying to explain the transport system, which is shocking in comparison to the system in Europe. And yelling at the top of my lungs, "I'M IN SCOTLAND AND ITS NEW YEARS" as the sky filled with colour & everyone cheered with great delight. It was truely a new years I wont forget in a hurry! I never thought I'd say this, but it was worth the 3hours wait in the blistering cold to PICK UP our tickets. It was a worthwhile experience thought because coincidentally we met two lovely girls, one of whom was from a town about 40mins from where I live in Jan Juc. Its been so bizzare to travel around the world and meet so many people from Victoria & Melbourne, but you can pick a Aussie from a mile away and people have the spooky talent of being able to pick where abouts in Australia you are from by your accent. I ain't that good yet!

Dublin was also good, I was happy to find that shops such as Penny's, Top Shop & H&M existed in Ireland. There was so much to do in London, museum & attraction wise that we just ran out of time, I didn't get to do as much shopping as I would have liked to, but I made up for that in Dublin, not to worry. Staying with Dani was exactly what I needed, it was relaxing & homey, it was an excellent time for recovery & recuperation. The country side of Ireland was spectacular, it was exactly what I expected but so much more because I was seeing it with my own eyes. I would really love a little cottage out there, its so chilled out. And the city of Dublin was so trendy, I was taken by the amount of hip cats wandering around especially at the Flea Market.

I am heading to Berlin in the morning at 6am and I am ever so excited because Tess, Angel & I will get to see the brilliant boys we met on our Top Deck tour again & also we'll get to spend some time with some fellow Aussie friends. Which will be refreshing, I have heard good things about Berlin so I am really looking forward to getting back into the swing of partying and seeing the sights Berlin has to offer. I don't want to come home, I don't! I have discovered so much about myself & what I want whilst over here. I love being independant, strong & care free. However there are a few changes I am excited about which will take place when I get home if all goes to plan. Everything has seemed to fall into place, things seem to make more sense, they seem more relevant to my life. What's happening back home I wonder? That what scares me, that nothing will have happened. But my life has been changed, in an amazing way & I couldn't be happier or prouder of my commitment to this trip & all the things I did and achieved in the year of 2008. One thing I know for sure though, is I will NOT to turning Freegan, EVER. And I strongly discurrage anyone from venturing down that path.

Happy Christmas & New Year fellow global citizens.

No comments: